Fresno First was founded on March 18, 1882.
IT ALL STARTED DOWNTOWN
In 1882, seven people decided to begin a Baptist Church, six years before the City of Fresno would be incorporated. The congregation would remain downtown for 70 years.
THE MOVE NORTH
In 1952, the congregation decided to move north and dedicated a new fellowship hall at Glenn and Saginaw, where Fresno First Baptist Church has continued to serve God and the city, in the heart of the city
THE MOVE TO START THE FIRST CHURCH TV BROADCAST IN FRESNO AREA
In 1973: On February 18, preaching on the story of Gideon, Pastor Hayler called for a group of people, called Gideon’s Army, who would give $10 a month over their regular giving in order to provide the funds necessary for the TV project. Several people signed pledge cards. Evangelist Mel Dibble closed his second Fresno Crusade by appealing to the crowd to enroll in Gideon’s Army. He personally pledged to the project.
After two false starts, the TV ministry actually began on April 17, 1973, with First Baptist Church becoming the first Fresno church to televise a live worship service. The service was seen and heard from Sacramento to Bakersfield over two channels – 26 and 19. The television ministry was aided by a large number of young people who volunteered to take the technical training necessary and handle the equipment as a service to their Lord.
CELEBRATED 100 YEARS IN 1982
Centennial Celebration was celebrated with community day on March 13th, followed by Centennial Sunday on the 14th. Dr. William E. Hayler, the only living former senior pastor, preached the Centennial sermon. To end it all with a Founders’ Day Banquet on March 18, celebrating birth of the church at a homecoming feast.
Please have a look at our 130th Anniversary History Book Thank you!